Sunday, February 3, 2019

Some Deep Shit I Thought About While Meditating

This is a post from my other blog that went up on the second of January. It would only be right to share it here, too.


Sitting on my front porch meditating this morning I've come across something I've never really thought about before.

You see as I sat and stared at the cars, and the clouds and the streetlights and the sky I tried to get my thoughts to shut the fuck up. And unfortunately, they just got louder and louder. And my heart started pounding harder and harder. And I was getting madder and madder. And I just kept wondering why the fuck isn't this shit working? 

And suddenly what I can only describe as an amalgamation of all the voices of the gurus and prophets I've listened to spoke to me inaudibly. The voice asked "Do you try to make this white car red? Would you get angry because you can't do it? Do you obsess over that to the point where your heart races?"

And I looked up at our fence. And the voice asked "Do you get angry because that grey fence isn't pink? Do you get mad and try to change that?"

And the voice went all out and asked, "Are you angry that the sky isn't yellow?" And finally, I had to admit that being angry over all of these things would be stupid. Because I can't control what color the sky is. I can't control all of these inane things. 

And the voice of reason said, "You also cannot control your thoughts. You can't make them go away or silence them. You can only listen to them. You can only make peace with them. You can only accept them." And as soon as I nodded and accepted that fact everything went quiet.

Only when we learn to accept and make peace with that which we cannot control can we make a compromise and change things.

No comments:

Post a Comment